- No, it was Mxyzptlk, and no one else can see it! He tricked all of us! The whole thing's a trick where he always wins in the end.
- — Vyndktvx src
Vyndktvx is a fifth-dimensional imp that has warped events of Superman's history throughout his life in an attempt to kill him.
Lord Vyndktvx was one of three children born to the Queen of Brpzx. After his mother's death, he was sent away to became a court magician, lauded for his meticulous and highly-logical tricks. When these were passed over by the king in favour of Mxyzptlk's more chaotic and fanciful style - and even worse, when this won the heart of the princess - it caused Vyndktvx to go mad with jealousy.
Breaking into a weapons storage facility, the imp stole a set of armaments, including the Nothingcoat, the Imaginator and the million-pointed Multispear. He struck out in the night at a shape wearing Mxyzptlk's iconic hat but struck the wrong man and murdered the king. With horrific scarring on his left arm, Vyndktvx worked fast to obscure his crime, first by disposing of the witnesses - putting Mxyzptlk in a glass coffin and forcing Nyxlygsptlnz into exile - and then attempting to dispose of the evidence - namely, Mxyzptlk's stories of costumed champions, and his prize trick, "Superman".
Attack on Superman
Vyndktvx's multiple attempts on the life of Superman, from his fifth-dimension perspective, are all one attempt. He was instrumental in connecting Glen Glenmorgan and Lex Luthor on the eve of the arrival of the Collector of Worlds. When the plan failed, he masqueraded as a barman to try and drive Glenmorgan insane. He helped direct Maxim Zarov towards hunting Superman. He murdered the Kents using a car accident. He used the Multispear, manifested as a destroying horde called The Multitude, to murder the heroes and the 333 worlds of Mxyzptlk's stories. He enslaved the Metaleks as a backup army. On a parallel Earth, he founded Overcorp and constructed the corporate monster known as Superdoom.
The Multitude appears in four dimensional space as an attacking army of angels that destroy and consume everything. They are manifested by Vyndktvx using the million-pointed Multispear, at the moment he kills the King-Thing Brpxz with its fractal points. 230 of Mxyzptlk's chosen worlds die, though Vartox of Valeron and Super-Turtle of planet Jazuur provided unexpected resistance. And two planets repelled the Multitude; Earth and Krypton -- both by members of the House of El. In revenge, Vyndktvx attacked Superman simultaneously, at multiple points in his life.
Vyndktvx's plan came to a head roughly five years after the creation of the Justice League, when he assembled a roster of super-villains, the Anti-Superman Army, and traveled through time attacking Superman: once to steal the Green Kryptonite engine from the rocket that brought him to Earth (an effort that failed thanks to the Legion of Super-Heroes), and once to trap Superman in a manhunt under a dying red sun in the ruins of future Metropolis. He is ultimately defeated, however, in modern Metropolis fighting Superman and his allies with his every resource, only to be banished to the Fifth Dimension and locked in the Multi-Cornered Dungeon of Zrfff for all eternity.
Powers and Abilities
- Reality Alteration: Vyndktvx has the inherent infinite nature and godlike reality-warping powers of all 5-dimensional beings.
- Vyndktvx is returned to the Fifth Dimension if he can be tricked into saying his name backwards, where he is wanted for Regicide.
- Nothingcoat, Imaginator
- Million-pointed Multispear
- Vyndktvx's name is a pun on the word "vindictive".
- Brainiac's Death List of the Multitude of 333 worlds are representative of all the worlds that Mxyzptlk used to vex the champions of; in order to entertain King-Thing Brpxz.
- In Action Comics (Volume 2) #14 Superman compares the Multispear to a three- dimensional fork, which leaves multiple independent points on a two-dimensional surface. The two-dimensional object would perceive the fork as multiple attacks, when in reality it was only one object in a higher dimension.
- 14 Appearances of Vyndktvx (Prime Earth)
- 4 Images featuring Vyndktvx (Prime Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Vyndktvx (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Vyndktvx (Prime Earth)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."