In the American Midwest, Wally West was a man of good moral character received speed powers through some unknown means. With these, he served as a hero for many years, calling himself "the Flash". After Superman retired, the Flash remained a hero, but he stopped... stopping. He began running instantly from crime scene to crime scene, disaster to disaster, until he became a gale force, patrolling Keystone City at speeds no human could follow. Prior to his transformation, Wally sired a daughter who inherited the Speed-Force and becoming Kid Flash.
Flash was recruited by Superman for his 'Justice League', their first mission back being to subdue the Americommando from slaughtering refugees gathering on Liberty Island. They then served with the other heroes in capturing dangerous metahumans. He travels with the rest of the team to the Gulag to contain the prisoner revolt. Captain Marvel arrives and blasts the Gulag, freeing all the prisoners, who then attack the surrounding Justice League members.
During the battle at the Gulag, he is rendered unconscious by Thunder and Lightning. Jade sends out a protective bubble over the top of him allowing him to survive the United Nations' nuclear strike against the superhumans. He will attend Batman's funeral in 20 years, but the full breadth of his adventures are not known.
This section of the history takes place during Convergence, a massive crossover event revisiting characters from past eras and realities. The villains Brainiac and Telos plucked them from their own timeline and stored them together, causing them to cross over into each others' reality. Its precise chronological placement and canonicity may be unclear.
Wally and Metropolis are taken to Convergence by Brainiac and Telos and he loses his powers for a year. Wally baits pre-Zero Hour Superboy into a trap with his Red Robin. He then beats up Connor. He later rushes pre-Zero Hour Lois Lane to the hospital.
- Speed Force Conduit: Wally gained a connection to the Speed Force, a mysterious cosmic force that pushes time and space itself forward. The Speed Force radically accelerates all aspects of Wally's being.
- Superhuman Speed: Wally is capable of moving at tremendous speeds. Wally is so fast that the people of Keystone has ever seen or heard him, but only felt his presence. He has been described as being everywhere at once, and living in between the ticks of a second.
- Superhuman Reflexes: Wally possesses reflexes far greater than a normal human being. This allows him to easily react to danger and events, and perceive the world in slow motion.
- Superhuman Agility: Wally's agility, balance, and bodily coordination are enhanced to superhuman levels. This allows him to easily make sharp turns and leap far distances while moving at superhuman speed.
- Superhuman Stamina: Wally's body can handle the stress of moving at superhuman speeds for extended periods of time without getting tired or weak.
- Speed Force Aura: Wally's body is surrounded by a "friction cushion", which provides protection from the nastier elements of his speed, including friction, airborne particulate matter, kinetic impacts, G-Force and the like.
- Superhuman Durability: Wally is capable of resisting tremendous kinetic impact forces that could easily crush or kill a human, without suffering any serious external or internal injuries, making him much more durable than any human.
- Accelerated Healing: Like all conduits of the Speed Force, Wally is capable of regenerating from injuries much faster than any normal human.
- Dimensional Travel: Wally is able to use his speed to travel to other planes of reality. He was able to pull Norman McCay out into the "real world".
- Electrokinesis: Wally's body generates the electrical energy that he draws from the Speed Force. This Speed Force lightning emanates off of him as white electrical aura, especially when he moves at super-speed.
- Enhanced Senses: The Speed Force grants Wally enhanced senses that allow him to perceive the world at a rate attuned to his reaction speed.
- Flight: Wally is so fast, he is able to break free of gravity and propel himself into flight.
- Molecular Acceleration: Wally is able to vibrate his molecular structure for various effects.
- Winged Helm
- Wally West's depiction is an amalgamation of the Golden Age Jay Garrick, the Silver Age Barry Allen, and Johnny Quick. According to character supplement in Kingdom Come / Revelations, an explanation for Flash's evolving powers is possibly due to his personality that may have grown from the singular mind of Wally West to synthesize all three Flashes into a composite.
- According to Alex Ross, his original character design for Flash was originally to be call "Mercury," named after the Olympian god of speed to convey how close to god-like the Flash has become.
- 20 Appearances of Wally West (Earth-22)
- 6 Images featuring Wally West (Earth-22)
- Quotations by or about Wally West (Earth-22)
- Character Gallery: Wally West (Earth-22)
|Flash Family member|
This character is or was an incarnation of or an ally of The Flash, and a member of the Flash Family of speedsters. This template will automatically categorize articles that include it into the "Flash Family members" category.
Justice Society of America member
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.