"The Point Pyrrhus Massacre": Hunting down the the Lando brothers, Jonah Hex kills one and captures the other and brings them to the town of Point Pyrrhus to collect his bounty. That night as he is resting in bed, Hex is visited by Michael Fenton of the US Secret Service.
- Durin' th' war 'twixt the states, ah had ju' 'bout as much'a muh country's gratitude as ah could stand! Damn near killed me, all thet gratitude!
- -- Jonah Hex
Appearing in "The Point Pyrrhus Massacre"
- Michael Fenton (Only appearance; dies)
- Ulysses S. Grant
- Doc (Single appearance)
- Jeb Turnbull (First appearance; painting)
- Lucas Lando (Single appearance)
- Sheriff (Only appearance; dies)
- Solomon (Turnbull's butler)
- Virgil Lando (Only appearance; dies)
Synopsis for "The Point Pyrrhus Massacre"
Hunting down the the Lando brothers, Jonah Hex kills one and captures the other and brings them to the town of Point Pyrrhus to collect his bounty. That night as he is resting in bed, Hex is visited by Michael Fenton of the US Secret Service.
Fenton has been assigned to be security at Point Pyrrhus for President Grant's trip across the country. He hires Hex for $500 to help him try and stop a cell of former Union supporters who are angry over Grant's preferential treatment of the Southern States after the Civil War, and seek to assassinate him when he visits the town.
Tracking down the would be assassins to an abandoned warehouse, they also learn that the sheriff is involved. Before killing Hex and Fenton, the assassins inform them that they have men hiding out in a hay cart and in a water towner hoping to mow down the president. Hex and Fenton manage to break free, however Fenton is killed in the meelee, but Hex manages to get away. As the Presidents train arrives, Hex manages to destroy the hay cart and stop the assassins in the water tower armed with a Gatling gun, however he is seriously wounded during the fight.
In light of the battle raging, and having received a telegraph from Washington asking for Grant's immediate return, Grant orders the train to drive through and keep on going. Aboard the train is also the mysterious man with the eagle headed cane spies Hex's unconscious body and considers his opponent dead. After the train pulls out the people of Pyrrhus point sift through the damage and find the near-dead Hex and carry him off for medical treatment.
- This issue is reprinted in Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex #1 and Jonah Hex and Other Western Tales #1.
- No trivia.
- Write your own review of this comic!
- Discuss Weird Western Tales Vol 1 23 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Weird Western Tales series
- Images from Weird Western Tales Vol 1 23
- Jonah Hex Recommended Reading
Links and References
- Jonah Hex at Wikipedia.org
- Jonah Hex at TV Tropes
- Jonah Hex at Toonopedia
- Jonah Hex at Lonely Geek
- Jonah Hex Blog with a "Body Count"