|Line 33:||Line 33:|
| QuoteSource =
| QuoteSource =
| Overview = '''William "Will" Payton'''
| Overview = '''William "Will" Payton''' a hero known as '''Starman'''.
| HistoryText =
| HistoryText =
Revision as of 02:56, 10 April 2020
Looking for a different version of this character?
|As a result of the New 52 in 2011, the entire line of DC characters was relaunched, incorporating properties belonging to the company's imprints: Wildstorm, Milestone, and Vertigo. As such, elements of this character's history have been altered in some way from the previous incarnation. For a complete list of all versions of this character, see our disambiguation page.|
William "Will" Payton was a hero known as Starman.
In 1988, the Stellaron-5 satellite attempted to capture a fragment of the power of the Totality decades before it would arrive in full, but it proved to be too limited for the task. The satellite's systems backfired one by one, firing a beam of light towards Earth that hit Will Payton, walking in the Rockies, infusing him with a strange energy that gave him superpowers.
Payton became a grassroots superhero, but found himself pursued by the scientists who operated the Stellaron-5, seeking the secrets of the Totality contained in his physiology. During his adventures, he assisted Carter Hall in his search for answers about the origins of Nth Metal.
A present-day Lex Luthor, pursuing his own search for the Totality's secrets, traveled back in time and captured Payton, torturing and experimenting on him, and gaining crucial information from him which Luthor then wiped from his mind. Somehow, Payton eventually managed to escape, finding his way to that era's Justice League.
- Unique Physiology: After being hit by a piece of the Totality, Will Payton gained extraordinary solar-powered abilities. Using these abilities Payton took up the moniker Starman to fight evil. He contains enough solar energy in his body to destroy the Earth in a surge of energy.
- Energy Projection
- Clairvoyance: Because of his connection to the Totality, Payton can see all corners of the Multiverse at once.
- Flight: Starman has shown himself to be capable of unaided flight.
- Power Distribution: Will Payton can empower solar-based superheroes such as Kryptonians by bathing them in his solar energy. He was able to empower Superman so much that the Man of Steel joked that he could crack the Earth with a footstep,
- Superhuman Durability: Payton survived a fall of several hundred feet and remained completely unwounded.
- Portal Creation: Will's abilities enable him to create star shaped gateways which collapse distances between space-time. There seems to be no discernible limit to size or distance that his portals can cover as he's able to bring objects as big as planets, backed by a sizable army, through them with ease.
- Starman (Will Payton) was created by Roger Stern and Tom Lyle, first appearing in Starman #1. However, in the Prime Earth continuity, Starman (Will Payton) first appeared as part of the New 52 DC Universe in Dark Nights: Metal #1 by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo.
- Prior to gaining powers, Starman had red hair, but once he was hit by the comet Payton gained white hair. However, he has also been shown with black hair for some unknown reason.
- 31 Appearances of William Payton (Prime Earth)
- 8 Images featuring William Payton (Prime Earth)
- 3 Quotations by or about William Payton (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: William Payton (Prime Earth)
Expression error: Missing operand for -.
|Justice League member|
This character is or was a member of the Justice League of America, or the Justice League in any of its various incarnations, sworn by a duty to act as guardians of America and the world by using their skills and/or superpowers to protect Earth from both interstellar and domestic threats.