"Strangers in Paradise": Despite her protests, Hermes bestows his caduceus onto Diana, trusting that her level of divinity now outstrips his own. Reluctantly, Diana agrees to shoulder the Messenger-God's portfolio, and leaves to assemble the delegation to the Feast of Five. These twelve delegate
- Perhaps after all, men are the true Olympians, and the Gods but images glanced sideways in a mirror.
- — Hermes
Appearing in "Strangers in Paradise"
- Wonder Woman (Flashback and main story)
- Amazons of Themyscira
- Superman (Flashback and main story)
- Eileen Flowers
- Frankie Flowers
- Julia Kapatelis
- Vanessa Kapatelis
- Ronnie Sarasky
- Gloria Sullivan
- Steve Trevor
- United Nations Delegates
- United States of America
Synopsis for "Strangers in Paradise"
Despite her protests, Hermes bestows his caduceus onto Diana, trusting that her level of divinity now outstrips his own. Reluctantly, Diana agrees to shoulder the Messenger-God's portfolio, and leaves to assemble the delegation to the Feast of Five. These twelve delegates, chosen after heavy deliberations with both Julia and the United Nations, consist of:
- Asmund Lindel, Norwegian ambassador to the United Nations
- Maritza Nitumbe, a South African botanist exiled for her anti-Apartheid activism
- Phyllis Haller, an American feminist and best-selling author
- Dr. Vladimir Morakov, a Russian neurosurgeon and Glasnost advocate
- Robert Cantwell, a Scottish history teacher and World War II veteran
- Benjamin Hecht, an American rabbi and keen critic of the Amazons' pagan faith
- Alan Witherspoon, an American Unitarian minister and fellow critic
- Lin Koo Teng, a Chinese teenager and Tienanmen Square survivor
- Rovo Quashi, a blind Ethiopian teenager born to a refugee camp volunteer
- Henri Claude Tibet, a paraplegic Canadian architect renowned for his accessible designs
- Felix Zumac, a Haitian zoologist and anthropologist
And, after work obligations prevent Superman (in his guise of Clark Kent) from participating:
- Lois Lane, Pulitzer-winning journalist for the Daily Planet.
(Meanwhile, Julia departs for Turkey, entrusting her home to neighbor Gloria Sullivan and Vanessa to her junior counselorship in New York. Vanessa continues to exalt her newfound "freedom" from Boston, oblivious to how much she is ostracizing Eileen.)
After a brief speech to the United Nations General Assembly, Diana uses the combined powers of the caduceus and her lasso to transport the delegation to Themyscira. Almost immediately, the delegates are awestruck by the pristine environment, the sophisticated society, the warmth of their hosts. Photographs are taken, dialog abounds, and peace between the Amazons and Man's World seems almost a foregone conclusion.
But from afar, a new power looms - a new, dark God who has claimed both Menalippe and the newly-recovered Penelope as thralls, and means to do the same to the rest of the island.
- No special notes.
- No trivia.
- Discuss Wonder Woman Vol 2 37 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Wonder Woman series
- Images from Wonder Woman Vol 2 37