"Blood of The Cheetah": Ignoring Julia's skepticism, Wonder Woman and Myndi accept Dr. Minerva's claims of a second Girdle of Gaea and meet with the renowned archaeologist. This optimism dies quickly; as Dr. Minerva tries to examine the Lasso of Truth, its magic forces her to admit the entire me
Appearing in "Blood of The Cheetah"
- Christine "Chrissie" Fenton
- Diana Trevor (In a photograph only)
- Ulysses Trevor (In a photograph only)
- Urzkartaga (Behind the scenes)
- Cheetah elixir
- Wonder Woman's Armaments
Synopsis for "Blood of The Cheetah"
Ignoring Julia's skepticism, Wonder Woman and Myndi accept Dr. Minerva's claims of a second Girdle of Gaea and meet with the renowned archaeologist. This optimism dies quickly; as Dr. Minerva tries to examine the Lasso of Truth, its magic forces her to admit the entire meeting is a sham. A betrayed Wonder Woman storms off, but Dr. Minerva simply resolves to take the lasso by force.
After dark, with help from her manservant Chuma, Dr. Minerva initiates an arcane ritual that transforms her into the Cheetah - the same creature that had killed the smuggler several nights ago. The Cheetah tracks Wonder Woman to the woods surrounding the Kapatelis home and attacks, her supernatural power easily matching the Amazon's. Even the Lasso of Truth, to Wonder Woman's shock, cannot subdue the savage creature.
(Concurrently, having learned Steve's father is dying, Etta and Steve arrange a trip to Steve's hometown in Oklahoma.)
Wonder Woman is eventually saved by Julia, who shoots the Cheetah with a hunting rifle. The Cheetah is knocked into a nearby lake, but recovers and escapes before Wonder Woman can pursue. The whole incident greatly disturbs Wonder Woman, who had already been questioning her beliefs and purpose in Man's World; to the Kapatelises' - and Myndi's - dismay, she decides to return to Themyscira.
The following morning, atop the cliffs of Martha's Vineyard, Wonder Woman shares tearful farewells with the Kapatelises. After accepting a bag of souvenirs of Julia, she departs for her homeland.
- This issue is reprinted in Wonder Woman: Challenge of the Gods (Collection) and Wonder Woman by George Pérez Omnibus
- Wonder Woman's reasons for leaving Man's World are somewhat inconsistent with the ones previously given:
- In the previous issue, it appeared to be part of a timetable laid out by her mother. The Kapatelises and Myndi had known about it beforehand; the latter had even ran a "Wonder Woman Farewell Tour".
- In this issue, it seems to stem from the encounter with Dr. Minerva (and the subsequent fight with the Cheetah), and takes the Kapatelises and Myndi entirely by surprise.
- No trivia.
- Discuss Wonder Woman Vol 2 9 on the forums
- Cover gallery for the Wonder Woman series
- Images from Wonder Woman Vol 2 9