"Superman and the Flash: "Race to Save Time"": Superman and Flash, on a race to save the universe, are captured by the Anachronids and taken to the edge of the Phantom Zone. They find themselves under the vacillating light of the Vortex Sun
- Hey! Guess what? I won!... I guess that settles it! I am the Fastest Man Alive!
- — Flash
Synopsis for Superman and the Flash: "Race to Save Time"
Superman and Flash, on a race to save the universe, are captured by the Anachronids and taken to the edge of the Phantom Zone. They find themselves under the vacillating light of the Vortex Sun and prisoners of Phantom Zoners Jax-Ur, General Zod, Kru-El, and Prof. Vakox, who are using the Anachronids to escape the Phantom Zone.
Jimmy Olsen is lost in time, and escapes from a barrage of Roman arrows, before appearing in the magistrate of the Spanish Inquisition. Time is out of joint.
The Zoners tell the heroes that the Anachronids are causing the time disruptuon, and will rupture the barrier between the Zone and the rest of the universe; freeing them while destroying Earth's solar system. Though the Vortex Sun is currently red for the moment, Superman and Flash use their willpower to draw the Green Lantern Medallion and break free and defeat the villains. What began as as a galactic footrace ends with the two heroes crawling in the dirt to shut off the Anachronids. And the Flash wins the race.
After the Vortex Sun goes yellow, Superman uses his newly returned powers to knock out Kru-El and smash the machine that created the Anachronids, inadvertently freeing Jimmy Olsen and returning the timestream to normal.
Appearing in Superman and the Flash: "Race to Save Time"
- Phantom Zoners
- Spanish Inquisition
- Alfred Pennyworth (Cameo)
- I-Ching (Cameo)
- Kryptonian Science Police (Mentioned only)
- Lois Lane (Cameo)
- Perry White (Cameo)
- Peter Fonda (Mentioned only)
- Rudolph Valentino (In picture only)
- Vintage Trolley Car
- Reprinted in Superman vs. the Flash.
- Superman returns to the Phantom Zone borderland and the Vortex Sun in The Phantom Zone #3.
- Superman Recommended Reading
- Action Comics (Volume 1)
- Action Comics (Volume 2)
- Adventures of Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 1)
- Batman/Superman (Volume 2)
- DC Comics Presents (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 1)
- Superman (Volume 2)
- Superman (Volume 3)
- Superman (Volume 4)
- Superman (Volume 5)
- Superman/Batman (Volume 1)
- Superman Confidential (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Steel (Volume 1)
- Superman: The Man of Tomorrow (Volume 1)
- Superman/Wonder Woman (Volume 1)
- World's Finest (Volume 1)
- The Flash Recommended Reading