"The Kryll Way of Dying": In Gotham City, Batman is unable to prevent the murder of an innocent man while in Metropolis, Superman saves the lives of many, but is still troubled for the fact that he can never save the most important peopl
- Just as you strove to ensure that others do not suffer the same fate as your parents... I remain on constant vigil to prevent the Earth from going the way of Krypton. We're like night and day, you and I, and yet, we're closer than we realize, closer than twins, because we complement each other. We fit each other... Like hand and glove.
- — Superman
Synopsis for "The Kryll Way of Dying"
In Gotham City, Batman is unable to prevent the murder of an innocent man while in Metropolis, Superman saves the lives of many, but is still troubled for the fact that he can never save the most important people to him. Moments later, Batman is alone in the Batcave and Superman comes to visit, knowing that both oth them could use each other's company. Superman takes Batman to the Fortress of Solitude, where they talk their concerns and worries to each other and their bond becomes stronger as they come to realize that despite their obvious differences, they have more in common than they think.
However, a new threat is coming to Earth as a meteor is bound to crash into the Fortress. Superman stops the space rock, but upon closer inspection, he finds that the rocks contain living probes, which he takes to the Fortress for further examination. Inside the Fortress, the probes start draining the heroes' auras and they control the weapons in the Fortress to turn them against the heroes. Batman and Superman take the situation under control and the probes seemingly calm down.
When the heroes interrogate the alien probes, they tell that they were created by the Kryll, a race which needs to leech emotions from Earthmen and enable themselves to die. However, the probes have never felt emotions and their meteor had located the Fortress for the strong emotions coming from such place. After taking some of Batman and Superman's emotions, the alien probes have learned the meaning of life and death and they sacrifice themselves to avoid their race or the Krylls from damaging Earth or its inhabitants. The noble sacrifice of the alien probes leave the heroes sad, but with greater comprehension of the universe and its ways.
Appearing in "The Kryll Way of Dying"
- Krylls (Flashback only)
- Robot Krylls (Flashback only)
- Probes (Only appearance; dies)
- Jonathan Kent (Flashback only)
- Martha Kent (Flashback only)
- Thomas Wayne (Dies in flashback)
- Martha Wayne (Dies in flashback)
- Joe Chill (Flashback only)
- Robin (Mentioned only)
- Brainiac (Mentioned only)
- Krypton (Dies in flashback)