The Wraith was an alien superweapon used by the US government and faced by Superman.
On the brink of World War II in 1938, US scientists sent a mathematical equation into space, but the mathematical equation was incorrect, and added up to more than the sum of its parts, to signify the message "let us add up to more, together." Eleven seconds later, a ship crash landed on Earth, with a similar, more complex equation, with a gift enclose, an alien who'd be known as Wraith, or "William Rudolph's Ace in the Hole". The US Army would build a home for Wraith known as "the Machine", and in return, he'd operate in secret for the Army during world crisis. His first major mission was to act as the bomb that was dropped over Nagasaki, which lead the world to believe the US had more nuclear arms than it did, and he served to minimize conflict and eliminate global threats around the entire world for seventy-five years, until the arrival of Superman.
Admiring the Kryptonian, Wraith ultimately aided him in the conflict against the terrorist group "Ascension", though he regretted that he believed he would ultimately be forced to kill Superman at the behest of the U.S. Army if he grew too power hungry or was otherwise ordered to do so. His sole order that he did not follow as given by the United States government is to find out Superman's human identity, seeing no reason to do so with the consideration that Superman will eventually be forced to shed his human disguise by circumstance of others' aging and deaths.
- Alien Physiology: Wraith has a physiology that is similar to Superman's but much stronger. Wraith notes that this amount of control over his energy signature has taken decades.
- Energy Absorption: Wraith is capable of absorbing and manipulating the absorption of electromagnetic energy, especially solar radiation. His absorption rate, when controlled, averages at one hundred and sixty gigawatts of solar energy.
- Energy Projection: Wraith is capable of releasing powerful blasts of energy that are capable of destroying large metal structures, causing them to detonate.
- Energy Transference: Wraith is capable of manipulating his energy signature to such a degree that he can transform his body in minor ways such as developing spikes that can emit the same signature as Kryptonite.
- Sound Manipulation: Wraith is capable of tightening his throat muscles to create an echo chamber in order to release a sonic attack from his mouth.
- Invulnerability: Wraith is capable of withstanding more force than Superman.
- Superhuman Speed: Wraith is capable of catching a punch from Superman with minimal effort.
- Superhuman Strength: Wraith possesses strength greater than that of Superman, able to kick the latter halfway across the continental United States.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Basic): Unlike Superman, who always had to be prepared to fend for himself, Wraith had the U.S. military backing him for much of his career. As a result, he only has very basic hand-to-hand skills, relying heavily on his powers instead.
- Vulnerability to Select Radiological Frequency: Much like Superman, he can be weakened and even stopped by the use of a radioactive isotope that negatively interacts with his specific energy signature.
- Cloaking Device: Technology from "The Machine" cloaks his energy signature.
- Anti-Ring Suit: To fight Batman, he utilizes a suit of armor covering his arms, legs, and torso made from a kind of red crystal to negate the effects of the radiological frequency he is vulnerable to.
- 9 Appearances of Wraith (Prime Earth)
- 6 Images featuring Wraith (Prime Earth)
- 1 Quotations by or about Wraith (Prime Earth)
- Character Gallery: Wraith (Prime Earth)