In the mid-20th Century, on Earth-Two and Earth-2, in Europe and the Middle East, several traditional hereditary monarchies managed to survive both world wars, remaining independent and retaining their original form of government. Among these were Badarstan, Boravia, Carabas, Cornovia, Dherain, Gardevia, Gavonia, Granaco, Kimrouk, Kravia, Markovia, Moldacia, Norania, Numark, Offalia, Pan Balgravia, Ruina, Sardonia, Solvonia, Valdania, Zangaria and Zarikan.
The national religion of Zarikan, until that time, was the cult of Vultura, Guardian of the Subterranean Waterways. A fugitive from American justice named Sinestra, calling herself the Purple Priestess, took over the sacred temple of Goddess Vultura, kidnapped Princess Allura and her handmaidens, took control of the water-distribution system, and demanded tribute from the king, Yuka. Wonder Woman intervened, and defeated Sinestra, who turned out to be a fugitive ex-Nazi spy. Sinestra was removed to Reform Island for some Amazon taming, and King Yuka disbanded the cult of cruel Vultura, calling on his people to worship only Truth and Goodness.
Points of Interest
- Wind-powered Water Supply System
- Sacred Temple of Vultura, with its massive metal statue of the goddess
- King Yuka
- Princess Allura
- Sinestra, the Purple Priestess
- Goddess Vultura (might not be real)
- Architecture of the palace looks kind of Arabian, and the king wears a turban, but the princess is blonde. Zarikan gets its water from underground, which implies an arid climate, which implies a Middle Eastern location.