Starting a coup against the Science Council, Zod went behind his brother's help to no avail, starting a long and painful civil war that lasted six months until Zod's forces were on the run and Zod himself forced to flee Krypton to avoid arrest. On his defeat, Zod went towards Krypton's old enemy and gave them the means of finally destroy Krypton, and in return they will hunt any surviving Kryptonian and, should they fail, the Dheronians will send him a signal to do it himself.
He arrived Earth sometime after Tyrell's defeat at the hands of Superman, immediately gaining power from the local yellow star.
To gain Kal-El's trust, he purposely placed several lives at stake in order to stage the idea that he, too, arrived to help, immediately gaining the trust of his nephew. Since he was still a stranger, he told Kal that he needs some time to think before fully trusting him, so he will "explore" their new world in the meanwhile.
In reality, he went straight to the world's governments with the proposal of helping them with their Superman problem, asking them not to interfere while he deals with him.
Luring Kal to a trap, he intended to use his longtime saved Kryptonite in order to finally kill him, but Superman outsmarted him and destroyed his protective Skin-Suit, forcing him to seal the Kryptonite while Kal escaped.
He followed him to his apartment in Metropolis when he once again clashed against Superman. This time prepared, Superman was neutralized by Lex Luthor who eliminated his powers with a red frequency gun, leaving him powerless against Zod who tortured him until he grew bored of him and left him go.
Only to once again follow and torture him while noticing that his power was returning, thus he decided to finish him off once and for all when he was run off by a desperate Lisa who saved Superman from death. Zod quickly recovered and was about to kill Kal when a remorseful Lex arrived and eliminated part of his powers to give Superman a fighting chance, one he took advantage from until he was once again blasted with red sun radiation that left him completely powerless.
Angered, Zod delivered a fatal stroke to Lex before being finally killed by Alexandra Luthor.
- Kryptonian Physiology: Under the effects of a "yellow" sun, Zod-El possesses the same potential powers as an average Kryptonian. These include:
- Solar Energy Absorption: Under optimal conditions, this is the main source of Zod-El's super powers as they are contingent upon exposure to solar radiation from a yellow sun star system. His biological make up includes a number of organs which lack analogues in humans and whose functions are unknown. It is believed that between one or more of these and his bio-cellular matrix, "yellow" solar energy is stored for later use. This allows for the use of these powers to fade when yellow solar radiation is not available instead of immediate failure.
- Heat Vision: Zod-El can, as a conscious act, fire beams of intense heat at a target by looking at it. He can vary the heat and area affected.
- Super-Hearing: Zod-El's hearing is sensitive enough to hear any sound at any volume or pitch. With skill and concentration, he can block out ambient sounds to focus on a specific source or frequency.
- Enhanced Vision: Zod-El's vision processes the entire electromagnetic spectrum as well as allowing vast control over selective perception and focus.
This umbrella ability includes the following:
- Electromagnetic Spectrum Vision: Zod-El can see well into most of the electromagnetic spectrum. He can see and identify radio and television signals as well as all other broadcast or transmitted frequencies. Using this ability, he can avoid detection by radar or satellite monitoring methods. This also allows him to see the aura generated by living thing.
- Telescopic Vision: This is the ability to see something at a great distance, without violating the laws of physics. Though limited, the exact extent of the ability is undetermined. In function, it is similar to the zoom lens on a camera.
- X-Ray Vision: This is the ability to see through any volume of matter except lead. Zod-Els can see things behind a solid, opaque object as if it were not there. He can focus this ability to "peel back" layers of an object, allowing hidden image or inner workings to be observed. The exact type of energy perceived—such as x-rays, cosmic rays, or some other energy invisible to normal humans—is unclear. This ability perceives an ambient energy source though, it does not involve the eye projecting a concentrated, possibly toxic, beam to be reflected back from objects.
- Microscopic Vision: This is the ability to see extremely small objects and images down to the atomic level.
- Infrared Vision: Zod-El can see with better acuity in darkness, and to a degree in total darkness.
- Flight: Zod-El is able to manipulate graviton particles to defy the forces of gravity and achieve flight. This ranges from hovering to moving in any posture, in any direction.
- Invulnerability: Due to the interaction of his dense molecular structure and supercharged bio-electric aura, Zod-El is nigh-invulnerable to extreme energy forces. In addition, his extends this protection against toxins and diseases.
- Superhuman Stamina: Zod-El is able to maintain continuous strenuous physical action for an indefinite period of time. This based on his body converting yellow solar radiation directly to energy, but is limited by physiological and psychological needs to eat, drink, and sleep.
- Superhuman Strength: Zod-El's strength is augmented by yellow solar radiation interacting with the greater than human density, resilience and biological efficiency of his musculature. His strength is more an act of conscious will on energy fields than actual physical strength. It is this act of conscious will that enables him to perform physical feats that are beyond the mere application force, such as moving a mountain top without said rock crumbling under its own mass.
- Superhuman Speed: Zod-El is able to move at incredible speed by sheer force of will. This extends to his perceptions and allows for feats such as catching bullets in mid flight as well as covering vast distances in little or no time.
This also confers:
- Super-Breath: Zod-El is able to create hurricane force winds by exhaling air from his lungs. He can chill the air as it leaves his lungs to freeze targets. He can also reverse the process to pull large volumes of air or vapor into his lungs.
- Longevity: Zod-El can live longer than regular humans, remaining at his prime as long as he was under the exposure of the "yellow" sun.
- Hand-to-Hand Combat (Advanced): As one of Krypton's finest soldiers, Zod-El is proficient in the art of combat and is a trained killer.
- Skin-Suit: Zod used a Kryptonian armor that was capable of blocking Kryptonite radiation in order to shield himself from its poisonous effects, as well as possessing an outer layer of crystalline compounds that is capable of absorbing another Kryptonian's Heat Vision. The armor was subsequently destroyed during his fight against Superman.
- Kryptonian Spaceship: Zod escaped Krypton in a prototype warp ship similar to the one that brought Kal-El to Earth. The ship was damaged during Zod's arrival to the planet and is currently nonfunctional.
- Zod has the tendency of commanding his enemies to kneel to him. An homage to the iconic line from the Richard Donner film's General Zod.
- 1 Appearances of Zod-El (Earth-1)
- 9 Images featuring Zod-El (Earth-1)
- 1 Quotations by or about Zod-El (Earth-1)
- Character Gallery: Zod-El (Earth-1)
|Superman Villain(s) |
This character is or was primarily an enemy of Superman in any of his various incarnations, or members of the Superman Family. This template will categorize articles that include it into the "Superman Villains category."