Zook was an alien sidekick of Martian Manhunter.
In an alternate dimension, a race of small creatures called zooks exist. When a scientist from that dimension opened a portal to Earth-One, two criminals passed through the portal, followed by the scientist and a zook. The Martian Manhunter defeated the criminals and threw them back through the portal; the scientist followed and the portal closed. The Martian Manhunter then realized that the zook had remained behind. He adopted him as a pet and an ally.
This zook -- subsequently referred to simply as Zook -- recognized that police detective John Jones was the Martian Manhunter, but kept his identity secret. He also became friends with Jones' police partner Diane Meade.
Later, J'onn J'onzz faked the death of his alter-ego John Jones. Zook attended Jones' funeral, and even though he knew he was not really dead, he cried, thinking, "Even though I know Manhunter okay, I miss Detective Jones!"
- Although this character was originally introduced during DC's Earth-One era of publication, their existence following the events of the 1985–86 limited series Crisis on Infinite Earths remains intact. However, some elements of the character's Pre-Crisis history may have been altered or removed for Post-Crisis New Earth continuity, and should be considered apocryphal.
- 35 Appearances of Zook (New Earth)
- 1 Images featuring Zook (New Earth)
- Quotations by or about Zook (New Earth)
- Character Gallery: Zook (New Earth)